STAE04 Data Visualisation
Intermediate online course, prerequisites: an introductory course in probability and statistics
In this course, you will learn how to construct graphs and visualisations according to the theory Grammar of Graphics. You will also learn how to create visualisations yourself using the software R and its package ggplot2. A central part of creating visualisations is making choices. Through the choices you make, your visualisation will be more or less intelligible and also highlight different aspects of the data. An important element of the course is therefore to to critique visualisations by other course participants and to respond to critique by them.
The following topics are covered in the course:
- Introduction and background
- Introduction to R and ggplot2
- Visualisation of data with few observations
- Choice of colour, symbols, scales, and perspective (2D, 3D)
- Summation and abstraction (many observations)
- Interactive visualisations
- Maps and spatial data
- Visualisation of statistical models
The course consists of self-study of literature with web-based support, including videorecordings, as well as exercises in producing visualisations on your own.