Research representative at LUSEM
to promote research ethics and good research practice
The board of Lund University decided 16 May 2019 to establish the function of a "Vetenskapligt ombud" / "Research representative". Each faculty is responsible for appointing this function for a period of three years.
Since 2019, there is an organization to promote research ethics and good research practice at Lund University. As part of this, the function of research representatives was established (Dnr STYR 2019/785). Each faculty is responsible for appointing research representatives.
The research representative at LUSEM is available to all employees who need guidance on issues related to research ethics and good research practice. The research representative shall provide advice on issues such as ethical review, publication, co-authorship, and research collaborations. The representative shall promote awareness of formal research ethics frameworks and informal codes and inform about new rules and important policy decisions for example via the Research Committee and the heads of departments. The research representative reports annually to the faculty management.
The research representative at LUSEM shall:
- Be a resource for faculty and staff who need advice on issues related to research ethics and good research practice. To this end, the representative shall be available for informal discussions.
- Promote knowledge of research ethics and applicable legal frameworks.
- Promote knowledge of good research practice, for example regarding declarations regarding authorship and research collaborations.
- Inform and communicate changes in regulations regarding research ethics and important decisions concerning ethics, rules or other issues affecting research at LUSEM. Information is provided, for example, via the Research Committee or via the web.
- In cases where questions from staff members lead to actions taken, the scientific representative shall refer these further in the organization, usually to the head of the department concerned. In cases of misconduct and actual irregularities, the notification should be handled by other means.
The mandate of the research representative is limited. (S)he is not to handle complaints or suspicions of scientific misconduct. The research representative shall, if such matters come to his/her attention, refer them, in the first instance, to the head of department responsible for the activity.
Focus on ethics and good research practice for high-quality research
The background motivation of the research representative’s mission is to ensure that research at LUSEM holds high academic standards while it is also in line with principles of research ethics and good research practice. The research representative plays an important role in the further development of good research culture, focusing on high quality research for which academia as well as the surrounding society has confidence in.
The research representative shall be an experienced researcher with solid knowledge of the different frameworks governing research along various dimensions relating to research ethics and good research practice. The representative is neither part of faculty or departmental management and shall not have other roles that interfere with his/her independence.
Research representative at LUSEM 2023-2025
Associate Professor Jonas Helgertz (Department of Economic History) is appointed as research representative at LUSEM for a period of three years from January 1, 2023.