Financing your PhD studies

At the School of Economics and Management, there are two  possible forms of study finance: employment under a doctoral studentship, or external funding. External funding can consist of employment outside the University or a scholarship from an external source – i.e. scholarships established by an organisation other than Lund University.

Doctoral studentship

Employment under a doctoral studentship means that the PhD student is employed by Lund University and receives a monthly salary.

Departmental duties

A PhD student can take part in departmental work not exceeding 20 % of total study time. This work is to be distributed in such a way as to develop the PhD student’s research. The PhD student is to be compensated with an equivalent extension of the total study time.

PhD students who engage in teaching are to undergo at least two weeks’ training in teaching and learning in higher education.

Extension of doctoral studentships

If a PhD student at Lund University has been absent due to illness, or taken parental leave, a leave of absence for military service, or leave due to an elected position within a trade union, the PhD student’s employment shall be extended on the doctoral student’s request.


Scholarship holders do not pay taxes and do not receive a salary. This also means that they will not get pension contributions or holiday pay.

You can read more about insurance for scholarship holders at Lund University Staff Pages.