The Jan Söderberg Family Prize in Economics and Management

A prize worth SEK 1 million for outstanding and ground-breaking research, and a full day dedicated to popular science and interdisciplinary lectures in economics and management – this is the result of a generous donation from the Jan and Åsa Söderberg family to the Lund University School of Economics and Management.

About the Prize

The recipient of the prize is selected through international competition and proposed in a nomination process at the Lund University School of Economics and Management. The recipient will be appointed by a committee.

The Prize is awarded to a prominent researcher under the age of 50. The person has made a significant contribution to research in the field of economics and management. The work must have clearly innovated research and practice in the field.

The prize money is SEK 1 million. Most of it, 80 per cent, is intended to support the recipient’s research, primarily to enable the recipient to employ and engage younger researchers. The remainder of the money, 20 per cent, is for the recipient to use as (s)he pleases.

Previous recipients

Professors Marianne Bertrand and Nathan Nunn, have both received the Prize.

Learn more about the recipients

The laurate 2022 is professor Linus Dahlander.

Read more about Linus Dahlander

The award ceremony

The Prize is awarded at the Lund University School of Economics and Management, at an event that features a lecture by the recipient of the prize, an award ceremony and a day devoted to popular science.

The next award ceremony is scheduled for 11 May 2022 and coincides with the third Economics and Management Day in Lund.

The Economics and Management Day

We welcome all who are interested to a day featuring inspiring talks at the Lund University School of Economics and Management.

Learn more about the Economics and Management Day 11 May 2022

Prize Committee

The 2022 Prize Committee consists of:

  • Maria Stanfors, deputy dean and professor, chair of the committee
  • Jan Söderberg, entrepreneur, one of the founders of the Prize
  • Frédéric Delmar, professor, Emlyon Business School
  • Olof Ejermo, professor, Department of Economic History, LUSEM
  • Merle Jacob, professor, Department of Business Administration, LUSEM
  • Thomas Kalling, professor, Department of Business Administration, LUSEM
  • Erik Wengström, professor, Department of Economics, LUSEM

Nominations

Nominations can be made by all professors and associate professors at LUSEM, as well as by all members of the prize committee. Nominations should include a short motivation of maximum one page and a reference to the nominee’s achievements.

About the donation

In 2018, the Jan and Åsa Söderberg family donated SEK 3 million to the Lund University School of Economics and Management, with SEK 1 million to be distributed each year. The purpose of the donation is the inauguration of a new prize in Economics and Management and to hold popular science lectures in economics and management in connection with the award ceremony.

“We have supported the School of Economics and Management in different ways for several years. We hope that the prize and the associated events will engage the entire school, its researchers and students, as well as the public. Through this, we want to help raise the profile of the School of Economics and Management in Sweden and hopefully internationally,” said Jan Söderberg when the Prize was announced in late June 2018.

The Lund University School of Economics and Management views the donation as a great opportunity to increase the School’s visibility regionally, nationally and internationally. The School is a leading force in the international research community within the field of Economics and Management and through the award it will attract attention in broad circles within and outside its own field of research. At the same time, it enables the School to be recognised and noted in ways that otherwise would not be possible.

Last published: 2022-04-27