A brief history
Education and research since 1666
Higher education has been taking place in Lund ever since the foundation of a studium generale in 1438, which trained future pastors. It was operational from 1438, until the Treaty of Roskilde in 1658, when Denmark lost the southern counties to Sweden. Then, in 1666, to demonstrate the re-establishment of Swedish control, Lund University was founded.
The University is founded, 1666–1668
Lund University was founded on 19 December 1666, with its own charter, endowment letter and constitutions under Karl XI’s regency with Queen Hedvig Eleonora at the helm. Due to a delay in the delivery of robes and insignia to the professors, the formal inauguration took place on 28 January 1668, on the King’s name day.
The new university was named Regia Academia Carolina – The Royal Carolingian Academy. At its inception, it only had four faculties; theology, law, medicine, and philosophy. Lund University became the widespread denomination in the late 19th century.
From the first chair in economics to the digital future
The teaching of business-related subjects traces back to 1750, when the University got its first chair in economics. However, at that time, the professors usually had much broader academic fields to cover and they were often affiliated with other faculties within the university. For example, in the early days following his appointment at the university, the most well-known professor of Economics from Lund, Knut Wicksell, was professor of Economics and Fiscal Law at the Faculty of Law. Other professors combined Economics with subjects such as Botany, Mathematics or Mechanics.
Over the years to come, the departments that today constitute the School of Economics and Management were established. The Department of Economics was established in 1901 within the Faculty of Law, the Department of Statistics was started in 1926 within the Faculty of Philosophy, while the Department of Economic History emerged as a separate department within the Faculty of Humanities around 1950. The Department of Business Administration was established in 1958, the Department of Business Law in 1962, and the Department of Informatics in 1965, all within the Faculty of Social Sciences.
In 1961, the Faculty of Business and Economics was established and the first class of 100 students was enrolled for a three year long programme. Since then, thousands of students have been educated in business and economics at Lund University.
Although there is a long history of informal ties and close co-operation between the different units, the formal development of a unified School began in the late 1980s, when the first part of the campus, the Holger Crafoord Centre, was built with generous donations from the Crafoord Foundation. The building is named after the founder of the foundation, the industrialist Holger Crafoord (1908-1982). The Holger Crafoord Centre was built in three stages during the period 1988-1998.
An organisational change in 2004 led to the establishment of the School of Economics and Management as a separate faculty in its own right at Lund University.
As parts of the school several research centres work actively with socially relevant research and are built on interdisciplinary approaches.
The following research centres are parts of the Lund University School of Economics and Management: